Benefits of Massage
Taking care of ourselves in this busy, stressful world we live in can be a full time job. Most people do not stop to think about the food or hydration they put in their bodies, the sleep they need to energize, the quiet time needed to recharge and self care of the body, to include exercise and massage. I will briefly discuss one aspect of the above-Massage.
Of course, I would say massage-I am a massage therapist. We live in our bodies and they perform any number of activities that we ask them to. Activities such as sitting in a car to go to work, mowing the lawn, taking care of our families, sports activities, the list is endless.
What are the Benefits of Massage?
Brush aside any thoughts that massage is only a feel-good way to indulge or pamper yourself. To the contrary, massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being, whether you have a specific health condition or are just looking for another stress reliever.
Here are a few benefits of Massage
Soft Tissue Massage Benefits
A soft tissue massage is a specific type of massage which:
- aids in relaxing muscles,
- increases blood circulation and lymph flow,
- improves the healing time of strained ligaments, muscular tissue, and connective tissue(fascia)
- reduces the inflammation of joints and heart rate,
- improves range of motion and joint flexibility,
- increases endorphins,
- strengthens the immune system,
- decreases muscle spasms,
- improves oxygen flow, and
- helps to relieve muscle tension.
- helps with symptoms of chronic pain due to accidents and posture that does not support your body in an optimal way
Massage Mental Health Benefits
Soft tissue massage also has a wide variety of potential mental health benefits, including the ability to induce a very relaxed state of mind.
Receiving a wonderful massage can:
- Release adhesions, improving range of motion.
- Decrease blood pressure.
- Increase the production of hemoglobin.
- Dilate coronary arteries.
- Enhance athletic performance.
- Ease stiffness and pain in arthritis sufferers.
- Enhance efficiency and problem-solving ability by improving brain alpha-beta wave correspondence.
- Protect memory by lowering the stress hormones that attack the hippocampus.
- Ease discomforts associated with pregnancy, premenstrual tension and menopause.
Reduce symptoms associated with fibromyalgia